When implementing changes in processes, people, systems and technology, successful leaders know the importance of having a process to lead the change and help employees adopt the new ways of doing things.
Leading and implementing the people side of the change will make or break the intended business outcomes of the change. Since it can take months to fully integrate new functionality, planning the people part is crucial to support employee change, minimize business disruption and fully leverage the capabilities and value of the new processes and systems.
What is Leading Change?
Leading change is a process for aligning a company’s business and people strategies to ensure successful execution and sustainment of the change. It means having a clear change process for the company’s leadership team to follow that includes:
Creating the Change Plan (Roadmap)
- Define the leadership vision and case for change
- Help leaders understand themselves and their current team leveraging assessment tools such as Predictive Index, DiSC, Myers-Briggs, etc.
- Empower the leadership team to act on the vision and connect to talent development plans
Executing the Change Plan
- Plan communication with the team as a group and with each team member individually
- Ensure team members understand expectations and communicate based on their needs
- Recognize and reinforce short-term wins and progress
Sustaining the Change
- Plan ongoing reinforcement communication for the group and individuals
- Make connections between the new behaviors and success
- Connect to future talent development plans
How will a Leader Lead Change?
The change plan (roadmap) will guide the leadership team’s change efforts with dates and responsibilities agreed upon and documented. Separate documents will be created to support the roadmap that may include vision statements and case for change, analysis of the people impacted, communication, training and coaching plans.
How can Management Development Group help?
Management Development Group works side-by-side with business leaders to navigate and guide a company’s change plans and support the leaders in its execution so that the business results of the change are realized and sustained and value is created for the company and its team members.
Please contact me if you would like to discuss further.